Do difficult conversations often end up as arguments? Are you feeling powerless?
Do you have trouble getting your point across? Would you like to improve your personal relationships?
Do you find it hard to obtain the services you need? Is it challenging to deal with government representatives?
Would you like to learn options for dealing with everyday conflicts? Does the art of assertiveness escape you?
Our Workshops can help!!
To Register Call us at 250-383-4412 or toll free 1 (866) 788-4412
or View the workshop schedule here.
We offer several workshop series:
Communicating Through Conflict Workshop Series:**Next start date July 17**
Consists of nine 3 hour sessions covering everything you need to know about effective, clear, collaborative communication. Build on your own communication skills and learn new ones. These highly interactive, experience-based workshops are designed for a small number of participants (6-15). There is lots of opportunity to share and hear others’ ideas, concerns and strategies.
Attendance in the first session is required to attend any of the remaining sessions, because it lays out the groundwork for the CTC collaborative approach to communication. After the first session you can take any or all of sessions in any sequence that works for you. Participants who attend all 9 sessions will receive a certificate of participation.
Learn to effectively communicate about money in this 3 session workshop series. Participants are required to attend Collaborative Money Conversations prior to completing the other 2 sessions. Participants who attend all 3 sessions will receive a certificate of participation.
Embrace self-advocacy! Learn how to speak to your adult children, doctor, nurse or caregiver in a collaborative and assertive way that ensures your needs and concerns are adequately addressed.
This 6 part series includes interactive 2 hour sessions with a small number of participants, and lots of opportunity to engage and share ideas.
All seats are $45. We have fee subsidy funding available for those who are unable to afford the fee. Please contact the office for application information.
Feedback from participants:
The Effective Conflict Management & Communication workshops centered on our real life experiences – we did role playing and shared our personal experiences. Both activities were very valuable in applying the techniques we learnt in the classroom to real life experiences.
The workshops had excellent content and in-class activities that helped reinforce the theories around communication and conflict management. The instructors were there to support and to assist us. Our facilitators were very good at keeping it real and helping us get through the difficult issues we worked through.
Thank you, South Island Dispute Resolution Centre; Victoria Foundation; and Gordon Head Rec for putting this course together and for all your time and effort in making this module available for everyone. I would also like to thank the Provincial Gaming Commission for providing the funding for my participation and Jodi for facilitating my course registration and making it possible for me to take this certification.” Jennifer ( Participant 2013)
Communicating Through Conflict
- Conflict basics: A general introduction to the topics covered in the workshop series. **Participation in this session is required to take the other 8 sessions in this workshop series**
- Conflict styles: An introduction to the 5 major conflict styles (avoid, harmonize, compete, compromise and collaborate) and the role that each style plays in managing conflict and communication.
- Active listening: Participants will explore active listening, practice effective listening skills and learn how to use these skills to improve their communication with others.
- Assertiveness: Participants explore common behaviours, the difference between assertion and aggression, the value of neutral language and learn a specific model for effective assertion messages in a variety of situations.
- Boundaries: This workshop provides participants with insights into the nature and importance of personal boundaries, and how we can effectively set and maintain boundaries to support effective communication.
- Managing strong emotions: Learn how emotion can be both a cause and a consequence of conflict and explore strategies for managing strong emotions.
- Culture and Conflict: Participants will learn how culture influences communications and how to minimize the impact of cultural differences.
- Power and Conflict: Discover where your own power lies, and how to minimize the impact of power imbalance when dealing with a conflict.
- Bringing it all together: In the final session, participants combine and practice all the skills learned in the previous workshops.
Communicating About Money
- Collaborative Money Conversations: Learn to apply collaborative discussion techniques to financial discussions, understand conflict styles and learning about income and budgeting. **Participation in this session is required to take the other two sessions in this series**
- Improving Our Relationship with Money and Each Other: Understanding the impact of our values, learning about active listening skills, banking, saving and financial goal setting.
- Credit, Debt, and Effective Communication: Through this course participants will learn about how power and power imbalances impact situations. They will learn an assertiveness model and develop an understanding of credit and debt.
- The Basics: When we have a difficult conversation or conflict to deal, it helps if take a “strength based” approach. Understanding our abilities helps us to know what we want, and how we might go about getting it. This session also reviews some conflict basics.
- Self- Advocacy: Many of us grow up thinking its rude or aggressive to advocate for ourselves. This session explores the nature of self-advocacy and how to build it in ourselves.
- Active Listening: Communication takes two things: listening and speaking. Often it’s good to listen to the other person before you start talking so that you say things they can hear.
- Assertion: This is all about how to speak to someone clearly, directly, and confidently.
- Boundaries: We all have boundaries, we all dislike it when someone pushes them: this session looks at how to identify our boundaries, build boundaries and protect them from being over-run.
- Putting it Together: In the final session, skills are combined and practiced.